Cagliari Turismo, the tourist portal of the City of Cagliari
This element belongs to the categories: Hills
The Bonaria hill is one of the seven hills of Cagliari and has also given its name to the district that surrounds it. The area was frequented even before the Punic, the Carthaginians built a necropolis there which was later used as a quarry by the Romans. In the Middle Ages, at the foot of the hill, the church of Saint Bardilio rose, in Pisan Romanesque style, and in 1324 the fortified citadel and the religious chapel were built by the Aragonese, from which the construction of the Basilica of Bonaria would then arise.