Cagliari Turismo, the tourist portal of the City of Cagliari
The Covered Walkway and the Sperone Gallery archaeological path will be closed to the public from September 30th to November 6th.
Sperone Gallery (archaeological path)
- (phone) +39 366 2562826
- (e-mail) [email protected]
Tickets for the Covered Walkway and the Sperone Gallery:
- full ticket: 6 euro;
- reduced-price ticket: 3 euro (students up to the age of 26, visitors over 65 years old, groups at least of 15 people, Cagliari Botanical Garden ticket holders);
- free admission for children under 6 years old, people with disabilities and their carers, journalists and ICOM members.
Combined ticket (without temporarily exhibition at the Civic Museums):
€ 15,00 Civic Museums and Cultural Sites (Roman Amphitheatre, Crypt of Santa Restituta, the Viper's Cave, Elephant Tower, Covered Walkway and Sperone Gallery) valid for 2 weeks.
€ 12,00 Civic Museums and Cultural Sites (Roman Amphitheatre, Crypt of Santa Restituta, the Viper's Cave, Elephant Tower, Covered Walkway and Sperone Gallery) valid for 2 weeks and only for residents in the Metropolitan Area of Cagliari.
In the heart of the old town, the Saint Remy Rampart is one of the most important monuments in Cagliari and one of the most prestigious exhibition areas in the city centre.
The Saint Remy Rampart is to be numbered among Cagliari's most valuable monumental complexes. Built on the ancient defensive curtains of the medieval boundary walls, owes its name to the first Piedmontese Viceroy, Baron of Saint Remy.
The majestic panoramic terrace "Umberto I" and the underlying gallery known as Passeggiata Coperta were designed in 1896 by Giuseppe Costa e Fulgenzio Setti. The imposing structure, built in a classic style, with white and yellow limestone columns and corinthian capitals, was inaugurated in 1902. In 1943, the double flight of steps and the triumphal arch were gravely damaged by War World II bombings, but later the distroyed parts were accurately reconstructed.
Over time, the Passeggiata Coperta housed several activities. At first, the gallery was used as a banquet hall, but in the war period served as an infirmary and later as a shelter for people displaced by the bombings.
In 1949, it housed the first edition of the International Trade Fair of Sardinia.