Cagliari Turismo, the tourist portal of the City of Cagliari
This element belongs to the categories: Churches
8.15 a.m. -10 a.m. / 5:30 p.m. - 7:00 p.m.
9 am-7 pm
The Church of Saint Domenico is located in the homonymous square, one of the most characteristic and popular places in the Villanova district. The church is officiated by the Dominican friars who live in the nearby convent. The first plant of the building constituted an important testimony of the Catalan Gothic architecture present in the city but was destroyed by the bombings of 1943. Above its remains the new church was built between 1952 and 1954 and the direction of the works entrusted to the Florentine architect Raffaello Fagnoni. The external facade in white limestone is flanked by a high bell tower.