Church of Our Lady of the Annunciation
Corso Vittorio Emanuele, 299
This element belongs to the categories:
It was built in the 17th century on the ruins of a small country church destroyed by a storm in 1643. It keeps an altarpiece by local painter Giovanni Marghinotti and an ancient spanish style painting portraying Our Lady of the Annunciation.
The Church of Our Lady of the Annunciation stands on the corner of Corso Vittorio Emanuele and Viale Merello. The exact date of construction is not known, but it certainly already existed in 1535 when King Charles V, on the occasion of his visit to Cagliari, granted the coat of arms of the eagle visible on the facade.
The building was built in the seventeenth century, on the site of a small country church destroyed by a storm in 1643. Entitled to the Virgin Annunciation since 1645, it was entrusted to the Piarist fathers, who remained inside it until 1866, the year in which the church was closed for worship and the adjacent convent transformed into a police station.