Cagliari Turismo, the tourist portal of the City of Cagliari
This element belongs to the categories: Museums
From Tuesday to Sunday: 9:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
(the ticket office closes at 7:15 p.m.)
Due to the Covid-19 safety measures, the number of visitors will be limited. In order to avoid gatherings or unnecessary waiting, we recommend you to book your visit in advance at email@example.com
Access to the museum cannot be guaranteed without prior reservation.
In compliance with the regulations and to ensure a safe and pleasant visit, it is mandatory wear a mask, respect the safety distance and follow the instructions of the staff and information panels.
Full ticket: 4,00 euro
Reduced ticket (18-25 years old): 2,00 euro
The Museum contains a small section of contemporary art and sculpture as well as oils, coats-of arms, religious objects and paintings. The altarpierces are the most interesting part of the collection. They offer a complete panorama about the best Sardinian school of painting.
The National Gallery of Cagliari, located within the museum complex of the Citadel of Museums, was previously situated on the existing structure of the Royal Arsenal. Then, since the late nineteenth century, it was hosted in the Palace of Seziate in the nearby Piazza Indipendenza, and for more than a century it was closed to the public. It finally found its permanent home in the current headquarters inaugurated in 1992. The National Gallery gathers together, in addition to a small section of contemporary art and sculpture, paintings, coats of arms, ornaments and pictures. The altarpieces are considered the most interesting part of the collection, as they offer a panorama of the best Sardinian paintings from the initial penetration of the Catalan-Valencian flavor in the island to the products of the local workshop of Cavaro and the associate school of Stampace.
The first nucleus of the collection was formed during the nineteenth century, after the abolition of the ecclesiastical authorities in 1866 and the destruction of San Francesco di Stampace church in 1875. In fact, at the beginning of the twentieth century new acquisitions and donations have enriched the Art Gallery with a beautiful and interesting ethnographic collection (fabrics, beautiful Sardinian jewels, furniture, pottery and weapons ). Moreover, from1919, an ewer take part in the collection. It is an extraordinary piece in the form of a volatile, built in the twelfth century by an artist of Byzantine culture. This is a rare piece of bronze sculpture similar in workmanship and decoration, to the exemplary "twin" of the Louvre Museum.