Cagliari Turismo, the tourist portal of the City of Cagliari
This element belongs to the categories: Cultural centres
The building designed by the Piedmontese military engineers, was built to house the department of "Dragons ", and had military functions until the nineteenth century. In 1863, the barracks, known as the San Carlo Barracks, contained more than 300 men and 40 horses, accommodation for veterans, Police stables, warehouses of military genius, etc. At the end of the 19th century, ended the military use, the building was sold to private and converted into small houses. The incorrect designation of "Jewish Ghetto"comes from the fact that there was actually, a little further, the neighborhood where Jewish lived, between Santa Croce and Via Stretta. The presence of the Jews in Cagliari in fact lasted until 1492, the year of promulgation of an edict by which the kings of Castile and Aragon (Sardinia was part of that kingdom) drove the Jews out from all their territories.