Castle of San Michele
via Cinquini, s.n.c.
Castello di San Michele
+39 070 15240479
From Tuesday to Sunday, 10am-8pm.
Full price ticket; € 3,00
Reduced price ticket (students under 26 y.o., visitors over 65 y.o. and groups of at least 15 people); € 2,00
Free admission for children 0-6 y.o.and people with disabilities and their carers
Guided tour full price ticket (inside and outside of the castle): € 6,00
Guided tour reduced price ticket (inside and outside of the castle) (students under 26 y.o., visitors over 65 y.o. and groups of at least 15 people): € 5,00
- Onsite restaurant
- Car park
- Facilities for elderly and disabled
- Air conditioned
In 1327, after the Catalan conquest of Cagliari, the castle was offered to Berengar Carroz. After the fall of the “Giudicato” of Arborea, its defensive role became secondary. It was with the Count Giacomo Carroz that the castle became one of the most luxurious residences in Sardinia. The last member of the Carroz family, who lived in the castle, was the unfortunate Countess Violante, who died in 1511. After her death the castle was then included among the goods of the Spanish Crown.
In 1652 it was used as a hospital during the black plague. During the XVIII century, with the Austrians first and then with the Savoy, the castle suffered a new period of decadence. From 1820 to 1848 it became a disabled barracks; in 1895 it was bought by a private owner, Roberto di San Tommaso, who committed its restoration to the architect Dionigi Scano and planted the still existing pine forest.
In 1930s the hill and the castle became a military domain, while in 1966 the excavation works of the castle began by the architect Renato Salinas. The marbles and friezes from the Basilica of San Saturno of Cagliari, discovered during the excavations, were reused by Carroz to restore the masonry. In 1990, there were new restoration works and the reorganization of the hill.
Today the castle offers a space for exhibitions, lectures and other cultural events.