Cagliari Turismo, the tourist portal of the City of Cagliari
Guided tours by arrangement
Full price: 5 €
Free for children under 6 years old, physically disabled and / or physical disabilities and their carers.
The gallery refuge extends for about 180 meters along a parallel and equidistant axis from Viale Merello to Viale Fra Ignazio.
It was part of a series of underground routes still existing, made in 1700 by the Piedmontese outside the walls for military purposes.
The main entrance was originally located in Via Don Bosco, but some transverse corridors to the main axis of the shelter, some tens of meters, allowed access to the refuge not only from the main entrance, but also from other entrances into private courtyards of the neighboring streets. For almost the entire length of the tunnel there are some benches with the function of seat against the wall on both sides. Even in the eight rooms of the gallery we can find side benches on the long sides, similar to those found in the main gallery. In the tunn
el is also present, a few meters from the main entrance, a room in which there were arranged squat toilets. Much of this existing network of tunnels was readjusted at the beginning of World War II as a shelter for the refugees, with cleaning, construction of double and triple inputs shellproof and construction of seats along the walls. At the end of the war, the tunnel was forgotten, and the various inputs, including the main street of Don Bosco, were walled. This allowed us to send it almost intact to the present day.