Cagliari Turismo, the tourist portal of the City of Cagliari
This element belongs to the categories: Churches
The monumental church of St. Augustine was erected around 1577, in the Marina district, using a Renaissance style. Originally, the temple was built in an other location, where now it is possible to find Largo Carlo Felice street and where St. Augustine's crypt still exists. Here, between 504 and 722 A.D, the Saint's remains were kept. They were brought from Africa,by the monk Fulgenzio, in order to save them from Vandals.
The main entrance is located in Baylle street, but there is a secondary entry connected with Largo Carlo Felice, which introduce to the vestry's yard.
The building has a Greek cross plan, with barrel vaults; at the conjunction among the four arms , there is a semispherical dome. Among the internal furnitures stand out different pictures, a golden and wooden altar in Baroque style and the simulacrum of St. Augustine.