Cagliari Turismo, the tourist portal of the City of Cagliari
Risen up as Martyrium for the martyr Saturnino, the church was donated to Vittorini monks of Marsiglia, who founded a priorate and renovated the church,according to the Romanic provencal tradition. In the first part of the 14th century, during the Catalans siege, the cloister was seriously damaged, tumbling down a century later. The church was restored again in 1484. Approximately in 1614 began the excavations to find the so called " holy body", that is to say martyrs relic or something supposed to be that, while in 1669,the church was demolished in part, to extract useful materials for the restoration of the Cathedral. In 1714, the chuch was given to the corporation of Medici ad Speziali(?) who dedicated it to the Saint Cosma and Damiano. The church was seriously damaged during the bombing in 1943, and,after different restauration woks, it was opened again to the ritual in 1996.
Picture of: Ilenia Atzori