Cagliari Turismo, the tourist portal of the City of Cagliari
This element belongs to the categories: Museums
Saturday and Sunday 10a.m. to 1p.m. / 4.30 p.m. to 7.30 p.m.
Reduced: 2.50 € (under 12 and over 65 years old)
Free: Kids up to 8 years old
Opened in 2004, the Cathedral Museum is located near St. Mary's. It houses a part of the Cathedral treasury , which includes some bequests left by the archibishops of the Church of Cagliari, donations and numerous silver liturgical objects such as chalices , ciborium , monstrance , processional crosses , crucifixes , as well as wooden statues and paintings. Among the most important there are "The Altarpiece of Beneficed" , a double triptych alterpiece of Catalan type , made around 1527 in Stampace, in the workshop of Pietro Cavaro , "The grief over the Dead Christ", a group of seven statues, date back to the second half of the fifteenth or early sixteenth century and "The Triptych of Clement VII" , attributed to the fifteenth-century Flemish painter Rogier van der Weyden , which is linked to unique historical events . It was stolen , like many other works of art and relics , during the Sack of Rome in 1527 , then it was abandoned after a storm, by the Landsknechte on the run from Gaeta. Finally, it was found in Cagliari and returned to its owner , Giulio de ' Medici, known as Pope Clement VII . In 1531 , as a sign of gratitude , the Pope gave to the Archbishop of Cagliari the triptych and the Holy Thorn , that was stolen too , with the obligation to expose them every year in the Cathedral during the celebration for the Assumption of Mary. The painting consists of three panels: in the middle is represented the Pieta , with the Virgin of Sorrows on the left and Christ crowned with thorns on the right. On the left side panel is portraied the Madonna with Child and St Anne , while on the right St. Margaret and the Dragon.